Monday, February 24, 2014

101 Ways to Use "Get"

"Get" is a very flexible word.  If you put it with another word, it will drastically change the their meaning.  Here are a few common "get" expressions.  The ones on this list all have double meanings (except for the last two, which I just like).

- get to
- get to 
- get back
- get back to (someone)
- get into 
- get into
- get it
- get it
- get together with
- get in touch with

Can you guess what they mean?  Here is a brief answer and example.  

- get to = arrive (I'll get to work at 9:00)
- get to = start (I'll get to my homework later)
- get back = return (I'll get back later than usual)
- get back to (someone) =  respond (I'll get back to you tomorrow)
- get into = enter (Get into the car)
- get into = become interested in (She got pottery after visiting the museum)
- get it = understand (I get it!)
- get it = buy/retrieve (Could you get it on the way home?)
- get together with = meet (Let's get together next Wednesday)
- get in touch with = contact (You should get in touch with her before she goes on vacation)

And there's more.  A LOT more.  "Get" is one of the most expressive words around, and it's really natural to use.  Learning and practicing these expressions will help out in just about any situation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment